Saturday, April 04, 2009

inside cooking day

The wind was rather nasty today, but otherwise, the weathermen were not on target with the pending "blizzard." I did stay in though and started off the morning with strawberry baked oatmeal that I found via Marie's blog. We used 1 cup of steel cut oats, and it still worked great!
The next great cooking adventure was making sweet potato gnocchi. We used a bag of frozen sweet potatoes that you can then mash, which saved time on the baked potato part. Then you add 1/2 t. salt, 1/2 t. nutmeg, an egg and flour until a soft dough is formed (1 1/2 - 2 c). We then rolled the dough into little balls, like those pictured below.


Next you bring salted water to a boil and drop in the gnocchi. When they are floating on the surface, they're done!


We served them with homemade pasta sauce and eggplant (with a glass of red wine, of course!).


After dinner, my aunt made pie crust, which I think I may start using her recipe for that as well. She then put together an apple pie the way my grandma would, using tapioca in the filling. Believe me, it's actually great! I'll have to make it again and take some pictures. For now, I think I've had enough grand adventures in the kitchen for one weekend.

No comments: