Tuesday, March 31, 2009

fountain

In the past few days I have taken up the cause of finding housing for Nicole & myself by perusing craigslist instead of studying for my board exam. Probably should be doing the latter, but it's an excuse for a few minutes of not studying. As I've been looking at housing in the Colorado Springs area, I've noticed some fabulous finds....in Fountain.
Let me explain why I have an immediate aversion to Fountain. For those of you who do not know, my dad is a retired Army officer, which means that he had a college degree and my family was typically around other officers' families. I grew up at an Army post that was primarily an officer installation due to the school that was located there. My first real experience on a large troop housing base was going to Ft. Riley in college, and I was pretty shocked. I try not to dwell on stereotypes, but there are just some very common ones with enlisted soldiers and their families that can drive me crazy. Also, every large military base seems to have this part of town (or just a town) that is full of sketchy motels, gas stations, bars, etc. Fountain is this to Ft. Carson.
So, needless to say, when I've passed along ideas for Nicole, I definitely avoid the whole Fountain area. We could probably get a great house for lots cheaper, but I'll take sanity first, thanks. In reality, we both would like to live near downtown anyway, and Fountain would probably be a good 25 minute commute for me to work. I will keep looking for a cute house near downtown with lots of character for us to live in!

1 comment:

annaelyse said...

oh i feel your pain! ha ha. good luck with the house hunting!