Sunday, May 30, 2010

memorial

I've been doing a lot of reflecting lately.  I guess it comes with uncertainty and also a strong pull to be in close relationship with Christ.  I want to be exactly where He wants me and that starts with where my relationship is with Him.  I have a tendency to keep myself busy and not stop to really focus on what's important.  I've purposely cleared much of my schedule this weekend to spend time with the Lord.
I do want to share some fun stuff that I found.  I don't generally read Relevant magazine, but my friend, Nic, shared this article with me (click here and go to page 45) about "Stuff Christians Like" and number 3 is "The Gift of Singleness."  I love the satire, probably because I've had many well-intentioned people tell me many of the things in the article.  I also found the website for the basis of this article.  The piece that relates to the gift of singleness is "#550 Surviving Church as a Single."  I find it extremely funny, especially with the scorecard.  I think my scorecard total tally is about 27.
All that said, I feel like I'm in a much better place than I have been previously.  I've really come to the realization that I don't know what I want overall - in life, in a job, in a relationship, etc.  God has really challenged me to lay this down at His feet and trust that wanting Him and His will is going to be far better than anything that I could dream or plan.
This weekend is Memorial Day, and I want to take some time to think about those who have served and those who made the ultimate sacrifice to protect our freedoms as well.  I think of my great-uncle, Bill, who passed away on the USS Arizona at Pearl Harbor, I think of another great-uncle who spent time in a POW camp in the Pacific during WWII.  I think of my Dad and the sacrifices we made as a family.  I think of all those who are serving today who are so important to me.  I don't usually like Thomas Jefferson's writings and typically prefer Washington, Adams or Lincoln, but this quote is pretty powerful: "Occasionally the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants."  Also, one by John F. Kennedy, "The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it."  May we never forget that freedom is not free. 

1 comment:

annaelyse said...

nat. beautiful. i think i need to make a trip out the springs sometime soon...because our hearts are exactly the same right now. i think some hiking. coffee. wine. good food. and even better conversations would be sweet medicine for our souls. :) i'll start to research ticket prices. love you!!!