Saturday, February 04, 2012

"resource"

Well folks, the last few months were a dud for me in blogosphere.  I've been working on a lot of different things, the biggest of which is preparing to move (again) next week.  I'll be working for a children's hospital and am excited to expand my skill level in some different areas.

That said, I have not ceased to participate in some wonderful fellowship in my current city with like-hearted friends.  Last week I attended a workshop night on spending time with God in the midst of the busyness of life.  For some reason I always assumed in college & grad school that meeting with the Lord would continue to be easy as a working professional.  Wrong.  I get up early, stay at work late, go to the gym, come home, eat, shower & am in bed around 9:30.  I know you think it's crazy I go to bed that early, but I honestly don't function unless I get that many hours of sleep.  I've been able to spend about 15-20 minutes in the Word and prayer in the morning fairly consistently, but part of me looked down on such little time.  l have been used to longer quiet times.  However, the encouragement on Sunday was that even that 15-20 minutes is cherished time with my Savior and to make the most of that time & don't let the enemy get to me with "it's not good enough."

Afterward, some co-workers of mine and I were standing around talking to the Navigators staff person who facilitated the night.  We were sharing how the 20s-30s that are single are just kind of looked over by the church.  There's events for college students, for married couples & for older folks, but, well, the single 20-30 something just doesn't exist.  This staff person shared that he's come to realize that the church views the single 20-30 something as a "resource."  "Oh, you're 28 and single?  You'd be great with the 8th grade girls!"  Umm...excuse me!  I have value as a member of the body of Christ apart from where you can stick me to meet your church's needs, or as a babysitter for your kids.  I would like to be valued for the perspective & unique creation that I am that has value in the church, too!

So friends, please hear me when I say that I need my married friends to reach out to me and ask me to be a part of your lives as much as I try to do it with you.  One of my biggest pet peeves is having to be the one to ALWAYS initiate things with married friends.  Yes, I recognize that you are busy chasing around children, working, spending time with your spouse, and still trying to maintain a relationship with the Lord.  But in the midst of that, initiating time together with me means a lot.  I hope this post helps people understand me just a bit better.

No comments: