Monday, February 07, 2011

The Glen & A Recipe to Share

I think this place is really my favorite place in the world.  Next to Hawaii, which I think about on a daily basis this time of year.  Mostly when I'm walking to & from my car with the bitter wind whipping past me as I huddle into my red puffer coat.
 The grounds are so peaceful and inviting.  I love hiking and spending time in the glories of God's creation.  I think of Habakkuk 2:14 "For the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the Lord as the waters cover the sea."  Or in this case, as the mountains tower in the sky & all around.  I feel that sense of God's presence when I'm in this beautiful, tucked away valley.  I went with my roommates for an overnight to celebrate the next stage with one. 
I took a dear friend hiking there & on a tour a couple of weeks later.  This past weekend, I went to a Chronicles of Narnia themed engagement party there.  Just in case anyone was wondering, I was Ramandu's daughter (the star), from Prince Caspian and the Voyage of the Dawn Treader.  I walked outside that evening in my long, flowing old high school formal (which I still fit into just fine!!) and stared up at the sky with snow falling all around me.  A gentle falling snow that keeps the night sky bright.  I wistfully thought how wonderful it would be to live in this place & be able to just sit in awe of God's might all day long.
Now for the promised recipe: Hippy Oatmeal!  I was searching for something to do with Steel Cut Oats because we have quite a bit that were left by our former roommate.  We're also trying to be exceedingly economical because we're down a roommate & have to cover rent just the two of us.  This is what I discovered: steel cut oats can be put together & cooked in the crock pot overnight!  Not only is this economical, but exceptionally healthy.  Working the long hours that I do plus the frigid cold lead me to wanting a warm breakfast a lot recently, but little time to prepare one.  Hippy Oatmeal is the answer!  Tonight I'm making some more with a pumpkin twist.  Basically you combine steel cut oats, pumpkin seeds (un-roasted of course), flax seed, craisins, raisins, or whatever dried fruit you want, water & a bit of half & half to create this delicious morning concoction.  I didn't take any pictures, because you would probably be seriously doubtful of how this could possibly taste good.  But, with a bit of brown sugar, agave or whatever you like to put in your oatmeal, it's awesome & sticks with you even on days where the high is -12 (the picture is in the morning in my car & it got colder as the day went on).  Enjoy! 

1 comment:

annaelyse said...

ahhh. the rams. how dare they not come out the day we were there. :)

the glen is such a beautiful place. what a delightful day that was...