Friday, August 21, 2009

Cooking & wishing...

This afternoon I went to see the movie "Julie & Julie," which was rather inspiring! I came out and decided that I was for sure making homemade Red Pepper Risotto (recipe courtesy of the Pioneer Woman). I was saddened though because I don't have a dutch oven and must make risotto in a large skillet. These are my two big kitchen implements that I would love someday:

1. Kitchenaid Mixer (on the list of very bad reasons to get married...more on that later)


2. Le Creuset Dutch Oven
I feel very materialistic saying that these are two pieces of kitchenware that I want to add to what I already have. I can definitely still make delicious breads, cakes, risotto & pasta sauce without these items. I guess they will continue to remain on the list of bad reasons to get married.

As for said list of bad reasons to get married, I will elaborate. Most of my friends from college are married and have been for at least a year and a half. Over the years, I have watched them date, get engaged, and attended all of their weddings. Hard to believe that somehow I'm the one not yet hitched. Based on my observations, these are the really bad reasons that I would get married without conviction of loving the man (not that this would ever happen):

1. The rock (aka the engagement ring). I don't mean any old silver or gold band. I mean a sparkly diamond!

2. The Kitchenaid mixer. It's like a rite of passage. You get married, therefore, you get a kitchenaid mixer. Several people have suggested that I just buy one myself. This idea completely defeats the purpose!

3. Cathy Koehler's jean blanket in a picnic basket. Now, to be fair, Cathy helped me cut out, piece, sew, find a machine quilter & dropped/picked up the quilt and bound a t-shirt quilt with a bunch of my college shirts. But, oh, the jean blanket! I feel like it's a "you know you're engaged when..." slogan in my circle of college friends.

I would never, ever get married just for these reasons, just to clarify this point again. However, it's fun to say that these are my bad reasons to tie the knot!

5 comments:

Marie said...

HA HA! Hey...at least you're honest!

Em said...

Hey!!! We JUST went to see that movie last night, too! I got my big Baking cookbook out as soon as I got home, also feeling SUPER inspired to bake/cook something fantastic. It was such a cute movie, wasn't it? I don't have a dutch oven, either, but would love one!! If I ever see an amazing deal on one, I'll let you know! (you do the same!) Miss you!

Gail said...

This post cracked me up! You're adorable. Miss you, girl!

Keri said...

A kitchenaid will change your life. I use mine several times a week...so I say buy one now in a funky color and then register for a nice sophisticated one when you get married and sell the first one. Or bequeath it to another lady in waiting:)

Anonymous said...

You know, you really don't have to be married to own a Kitchen Aid! Single girls can own them too...especially ones who are awesome cooks like you! (That equally awesome guy is out there for you, in God's perfect timing!)Love you AND miss you a ton! Cathy

ps went to the movie with Teri and Randy and Loved It!