Saturday, January 23, 2010

fulfillment

The messages at my church have been so timely in the past few weeks.  I feel like each message has been directed specifically to me in the place I am right now.  God knows exactly what I need!
This past Sunday's sermon focused on John 13:1-17 where Jesus is washing the disciples feet.  The pastor gave context for the message along with 4 very insightful traits of being a servant.  The traits that he focused on were humility, boldness, obedience and joy.  I was especially struck by a comment about where I'm searching for fulfillment.  Am I looking for fulfillment in people that only God can provide?  I started doing some self-reflection and have come to the conclusion that even if I don't realize it, I place some hefty expectations on my relationships with others.  I think in some respects this is a self-defense mechanism.  I've also noticed that I tend to do this subconsciously without even realizing that I've placed such expectations on people.  I look to be completed by relationships when the reality is that only Christ can provide what I'm searching for in other people.  Now the question is how do I live life in light of this realization?  How do I live moment by moment in the presence of the Lord?  How do I adjust my expectations or really let Christ lead those expectations?  How do I head off the subconscious expectation of being fulfilled & completed by others?  These are just some of the things I've been pondering and bringing to the Lord in prayer as I ask to be in His presence each day.

1 comment:

Marie said...

I'm like that too, but I'm sure that is not surprising to you in the least. :)